Friday, June 26, 2009

St. Peter's Basilica- Lifechanging

Yesterday, I had the amazing opportunity to visit St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.

View from St. Peter's Square

Papal Residence

Once I entered the building, I was in awe. The sheer beauty of the church is enough to take your breath away.

We wandered through the tomb of Popes which was a bit creepy, but still amazing to see. Walking past Pope John Paul II's tomb was incredibly eerie and saddening. We were shepherded through quite quickly and no photos were allowed, but no one could take their eyes off the tomb. Some people even tossed letters and photos into the area.

After seeing the tombs, we headed into the main church and saw Michelangelo's famous Pieta and Bernini's Baldacchino. Beautiful.

Main church.

Pieta.

We went into a chapel just for private prayer. It was amazingly beautiful and I felt chills just being in the room.

Afterwards, we headed to the gift shop and purchased some beautiful and reasonably priced rosaries for our family members.

I had a great experience visiting St. Peter's and might even head back there on Monday when I go to see the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel!

No comments: